Monday, September 28, 2009

A Nostalgic Look at the Houston Rockets’ Branded Uniforms

Men and sports. Two things that go together like apple pie and ice cream. Since my dad and brother were sports enthusiasts, I would watch them glued to the T.V. any time a sports event was on.

When I was a kid I was lucky to get prime seats for some of the Houston Rockets’ basketball games. My cousin was a score keeper and my family knew friends that also had season tickets. It was most exciting for me to go and see the live games.

As a young marketer in training, I enjoyed looking at the uniforms and the brand that the Rockets had generated. Recently, when I heard about the unveiling of their new uniforms, I was interested to see them. I decided to go down memory lane and think back to history of their gear: The Rockets were the San Diego Rockets from 1967-1971, where they became the Houston Rockets in 1971 and remain today. The Houston Rockets’ colors in 1971 were red, white, gray, and yellow and have had variations over the years.

The new marketing campaign and brand that the Rockets fired up is called “We Are Red Nation” and included the unveiling of the new Rockets’ uniforms. The statement was intended to “Unite the Rockets global community and build on the ‘redification’ of the city of Houston….with the launch of the Rockets’ enormously successful ‘Get Red’ campaign,” said Rockets’ Marketing Director Ken Sheirr. With “Get Red! We wanted to stress fan, partner and community-wide activation.” Read More

The new uniform is somewhat retro with the ketchup and mustard color and bring back the nostalgia of the “franchise’s glory days of the early 80’s and mid 90’s when Ralph Sampson, Moses Malone and Hakeem Olajuwan patrolled the paint.” Read more

What do you think of the Rocket’s new gear?






No comments:

Post a Comment